The holidays are here and this inspired all of us at Berklee City Music to share with you our favorite holiday and seasonal songs. Below is the list of our picks. Please leave a comment and tell us your favorite holiday song and why, and we will be sure to add it to our Spotify holiday playlist.
Happy Holidays from all of us at Berklee City Music!
“Christmas In The Sand” – Colbie Caillat
- It warms up my heart and I recall some fun times in Rio at the beach with family and friends during Christmas & New Years. Collbie Caillat, has a wonderful voice. The lyric is simple, cute and it makes you want to sway and dance. – Maria R.
“Peanut Brittle Brigade” – Duke Ellington
- No contest: Duke Ellington’s “Peanut Brittle Brigade” from his Nutcracker Suite. It’s a respectful but creative take on Tchaikovsky’s well-known music, with exciting solos and irresistible swing. – Andrew S.
“White Christmas” – Bing Crosby
- Growing up in Florida, I changed the lyrics to “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the ones I never knew.” I wanted so desperately to see snow at Christmastime! – Kasey C.
“Skating” – Vince Guaraldi Trio
- Skating reminds me of a yearly family tradition of watching “A Charlie Brown Christmas” to get ready for the holidays. – Justin J.
“Go Power At Christmas Time” – James Brown
- Someone almost always puts on some James Brown at my family’s Christmas celebration. To me it’s visceral and it adds a great atmosphere for festivities and pulling your loved ones close, which is what Christmas is all about. – Lenore F.
“Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” – Brenda Lee
- Always reminds me of that scene in Home Alone when Kevin is doing whatever he wants after his family leaves without him. – Jordan S.
“Last Christmas” – Wham!
- Of course, anything by Wham is a sure favorite by me, but this holiday tune has an extra special quality of sentimentality and sugar. It’s like candy, specifically, a lemon drop. – Joanne D.
“Frosty the Snowman” – Jimmy Durante
- I’m right back to five years old whenever I hear this song. – Marian W.
- It’s such a pretty version with just piano. It reminds me of shopping with my mom when I was a little kid in a store called Sassafras. They always had the record on and it brings to mind Christmas in New England. – Arin C.