For Jazz Appreciation Month we are having a transcription challenge for Berklee City Music Network students. Students can choose from one of three solos to transcribe (listed below) and upload either a video of them playing the transcription and/or a JPEG or PDF of the handwritten transcription to our Facebook or Twitter page. The first 10 students to submit a transcription with at least 70% accuracy will receive City Music swag!
The due date is International Jazz Day, April 30, 2014.
- Must be an official Berklee City Music Network student, attending one of our 46 Network members
- You must transcribe one of the three solos listed below
- First 10 to submit with at least 70% transcription accuracy will receive the prizes
- Submission must be made by 11:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time on April 30, 2014
- If submitting a video do not play along with it
- If submitting a written version submit in the key of your instrument. Must be handwritten.
- Transcriptions must be uploaded on the Berklee City Music Network Facebook page or Tweeted at our Twitter page (@BerkleeCMN)
- Those who submit via Facebook must also like us on Facebook
- Those who submit via Twitter must also follow us on Twitter
- In your submission you must tell us your Network site by tagging them in the post
- Berklee City Music Network Swag
- Prizes will be sent to students’ Network site director
- The winners will get a special feature on our blog
Solos to Transcribe
1) Cannonball Adderley Solo from “Freddie Freeloader” on Kind of Blue (alto saxophone, 6:22 minute mark)
2) Chet Baker’s Solo from “Autumn Leaves” on She Was Too Good For Me (trumpet, 0:51 minute mark)
3) Herbie Hancock’s Solo from “Watermelon Man” on Takin’ Off (piano, 4:43 minute mark)