Music: A Medium for Student-Centered Youth Development
- Explore how a student-centered arts-based environment optimally
uses music as the means for cognitive and non-cognitive engagement.
- Encounter three dispositional mindset/belief systems
for students and teachers which enhance student competencies with maximized transferability.
- Inform the shaping of policy discussions, staff development, and the design of arts-based activities in-school and afterschool with particular emphasis on music programs
The Educational Jazz Band and Beyond: Where are the Girls?
This session will raise attendees’ awareness of a major equity problem in jazz education: gender disparities in student participation. Using examples from Seattle-area public schools, the presentation will survey the structural roots of these disparities as well as offer concrete suggestions for increasing young women’s participation in jazz within school and district music programs. Teachers, administrators, and arts organizations will be empowered to advance parity in their own programs.
Answering the question, “Why?”
- Confront the oddly tricky question: Why does my organization exist?
- Hear from other leaders on how missions, vision, and values interact.
- Advance your insight: What motivates your, and your organization’s, work?
- Anticipate surprises from your constituents’ views on “Why?”. You will be surprised!
- Solidify your own position on the question, with help thinking it through.
- Organize your plan to address the issue with your constituents, community, and students.
“Keeping it Real” Engaging and Inspiring Your Classroom
Let’s have fun! The presentation will focus on key elements for engaging students in the classroom utilizing a variety of hands-on tools including technology, inspirational story-telling, current music industry happenings, music history and creative and fun interactive methods for learning. A key component will include utilizing PULSE as part of the educational process in the classroom.
To read more about our speakers and panelists, visit here.